Monday, February 27, 2012

Cheese Sauce Comfort

As a mother, I needed a little comfort today.  I turned on the news this morning to see that a high school not too far from my own city was bustling with police activity as reports of a school shooting came over the air.  I immediately scooped up my daughter, too young yet for even kindergarten, and held her close as I imagined the abject terror rippling through the crowd of students convened in the cafeteria as the first shot rang out.  I could only imagine how frantic parents must have felt as word got back to them, and how devastated the two families of the unfortunate students who have lost their lives must be.  Three others were injured, but the entire community will suffer for a long time to come.

Despite the unseasonable warmth hiding behind a light chilly breeze and the sun blazing boldly through my windows, it was a dark day in Ohio and across the nation as people suddenly were in fear for their own children, minds filling with worry as we're reminded yet again that the only place they spend more time during the day than home can never be completely safe.

It was a comfort food kind of day.

Carb Load


Imagine a comfortable white bed overrun with fluffy green pillows and covered in a toasty golden blanket.  That's how I see my favorite comfort food:  A baked potato covered in broccoli and cheese sauce.  The starchy goodness, the burst of fresh vegetable and creamy cheddar combine to create a little bit of heaven on earth and eating it is just as fulfilling as curling up in bed when I'm otherwise unable.

I wanted to share with my daughter one of my favorite all-time foods, so I decided to make her a baby version for lunch.  As I baked a couple of yellow fleshed potatoes and cooked up some broccoli and kale, I contemplated how I would add cheese to the mixture.  You can't simply add cheese:  It would leave a very dry potato along with chewy strings that would gradually harden as the dish cooled that a baby with only three teeth in front wouldn't be able to handle, and I certainly couldn't give her a commercial cheese sauce.  Not only because I didn't have any, but because that stuff is awful.

I never made a basic cheddar cheese sauce before, which surprised even me as I realized that. So I took to the internet for inspiration.

The Basics

When you're wandering through the grocery aisle, pick up a bottle or can of cheese sauce and read the ingredients:
  • Artificial colors and flavorings
  • Monosodium glutamate (MSG)
  • Disodium phosphate
  • Partially hydrogenated soybean oil
  • Autolyzed yeast extract
  • Added salts, sugars and thickeners
I don't know what some of this stuff really is, but I do know what it is not:  Necessary.  

As it turns out, making a cheese sauce is pretty simple.  I needed only four ingredients:  Butter, flour, milk and cheddar cheese.  No phosphates, no oils, no salt, no artificial colors.

For wee ones, choose a mild cheddar.  You can buy it pre-shredded, which I don't do simply because shredded cheeses are usually treated with natamycin, a mold inhibitor that I don't know enough about  to feel comfortable giving to my daughter.  You can also buy it by the block and either cut it into small cubes or shred it yourself, which is what I prefer.

In order to make the sauce healthier, I opted for whole wheat flour.  It's an acquired taste - let your child acquire it.  The sauce won't be what you may be used to:  It will have flecks of brown wheat throughout, and it will taste a little like a grilled cheese sandwich instead of just cheese.  Your child doesn't know to expect bright-yellow perfectly smooth sauce, and it's not a bad idea to keep it that way.

Making the Sauce

One of the easiest things in the world - make a roux, add milk to the desired consistency, add cheese to the desired flavor. 

1)  Melt one tablespoon of butter in a small sauce pan on medium heat, and add to it your whole wheat flour, stirring to combine well.

2)  Gradually whisk in whole milk (or whichever milk your pediatrician recommends for your child if he or she is on a special diet) until you reach a desired consistency.  You'll want it to be a little thick, but not too thick.  Remember, you can always add more milk later.

3)  Add your cheese, about an ounce or two.  Add it slowly, let it melt, taste it.  If it tastes more like flour than it does cheese, add more cheese.  Cooking really is that simple:  Look, and taste.  If it starts getting too thick, add some more milk.  I'd tell you the exact measurements I used, but like I said before, I don't use exact measurements.

There.  It really is that easy.

Baby Baked Potato with Greens and Cheese

To finish off the lunch, I mashed up the insides of the potatoes I had cooked, chopped the broccoli and kale and added that (use a lot of the greens; you want a healthy ratio of greens to potato in every bite!) and then put in enough cheese sauce to make the whole mess nice and smooth.  It tasted great:  Creamy potato, vibrant greens, comforting cheese with a little whole grain nuttiness.  We both loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment